Merge 2 dives into single dive

Discussions about the smartphone versions
GTek

Merge 2 dives into single dive

Post by GTek »

Hello. I use the iPad version of Diving Log. I recently completed a dive then one diver lost his mask and i quickly went down again to try and find it. Unfortunately my surface interval was just over 5mins, so due to my dive computer settings it thought I went down on another dive.

Using the iPad app, how can I merge these two seperate dives into a single dive? Thanks
gregm

Re: Merge 2 dives into single dive

Post by gregm »

Hello,

In order to "append" the two dives (we uses the term "merge" to refer to a different operation) you can open the main Dives list and long press on the first of the dives that you'd like to combine into a single dive. If the operation can be completed with the following dive (which should be the case with your situation) you will see a menu with an item "Append Following Dive". Tap that item and the two dives will be appended and will assume the dive number of the first of the two dives.

Please let us know if you need any additional information.

Cheers,

Greg
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hi Greg,

I bought the edit features in the Android app and was under the impression that this would allow me to merge dives as well, but long press on a logbook entry does not do anything.

What is the trick to do this on Android?

Rolf
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi Rolf,

To be honest, I don't know the answer to your question. I don't have access to the Android product and am not the developer of it (I make the iOS/Mac products). I will highlight your post to the developer of Diving Log for Android (the owner of this forum) to make sure is is aware of your question and he can address it directly.

Sorry that I can't answer it directly myself.

Cheers,

Greg
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Rolf

in the Android app this feature is currently not yet implemented. You can do it in the Windows version and if you want, I can do this for you. Just email (info@divinglog.de) me your logbook file, which can be done from the menu in the "Logbook Management" screen (and tell me the dive numbers to merge):

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Would it be possible to add this functionality to the Android app as well? This is literally the only thing missing for me that makes it my choice for a digital diving log.

It is just not very handy for me to email logs to someone else, especially if I need it more often.

Rolf
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Rolf

The feature will be available in the next update. Let me know if you want to test it in a beta version before.

Kind regards,
Sven
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Super late response, but that is awesome. I tried to find it in the app today, but could not. Any way I can try the beta?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

To try the beta, you can download this APK file and install it. You'll find the function here (make sure to switch to the profile tab):

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 51396 times

You can decide if you want to merge with the previous or next dive. An automatic backup is created before the merging happens. You have to delete the 2nd dive manually after the merging.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I tried the feature and it works nicely!

However I found some unexpected behavior when merging with a previous dive, the start time of the dive is not adjusted to that of the previous dive.

Example:
Assume:
Dive no 2: start time 10:15
Dive no 1: start time 10:00

Test:
Go to profile in dive no 2, and merge the profile of dive no 1 into it (previous)

Result:
Time for dive no 2 stays 10:15

Expected:
Start time for dive no 2 should be adjusted to 10:00 as that is a bit more logical, since this feature is merging dive profiles (not appending them).
I also found a small thing that I would consider a bug (I'm an Android developer myself, and I know this is avoidable and ruins user experience on Android):

Whenever I go to another app (app goes to background, onPause and onStop are called) any dialog that takes text input, such as when adding a new buddy or location, is dismissed and does not come back up, and you lose the text that you wrote. Sometimes I like to double check if something is correctly spelled, and it is frustrating that the app loses the text I wrote so far.

A common malpractice in native Android development is to use AlertDialog directly and dismiss them in onStop (or even onPause), instead DialogFragment should be used without manually dismissing them. DialogFragment has an automatically managed lifecycle and therefor avoids this problem (however you need to implement correct communication between Fragments to pass data around, and properly safe/restore view data). Not sure how helpful this is, since I have a feeling the app is not native (Likely build with a "wrapper-framework" the likes of Xamarin?).

Anyways don't see this as criticism, I'm really happy with this app, especially now that I can merge dives/profiles! Great job!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for testing and your feedback! The entry time problem will be fixed in the next update.

I've looked into the input dialog issue and it does not seem to be an easy solution for this. I'm using B4A which compiles to a Java app, but I cannot use things like DialogFragment. I've asked this question in their forum, we'll see if there is a solution for this.

Sven